Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 2 Comment on Catherine Yoho's post

Lisa Young said...

“"Let's pretend we're on an adventure...," to, "Why did you fail that test?" It's no wonder so many children become disengaged in school, and from their families. They are being asked to perform within the box of expectations rather that thinking outside the box and in a world of possibilities. With the pace of technology changing the world we live in, we NEED to encourage the wider thinking outside the box, filled with the potential of creativity, and ever expansive thinking.” C. Yoho

Catherine, I agree with you completely! However, we must change the system and start with the younger grades. I do not know the answers, but I do know that many students are stuck in this mode of “feed me.” My high school students want me to just feed them answers that they can memorize or walk them through step by step in the hands-on projects. I must be honest that when I try to give them free reign to be creative, I find it difficult to give them grades. And I MUST give them grades, even if I don’t really want to. However, I remember when there was a movement (short lived) to do away with grades. It was horrible in that there was no accountability, nothing for colleges to compare to. I don’t think the system that was tried is the perfect solution, and I most certainly do not claim to know what is, but I agree that we must find one. My daughter is unbelievably creative and I do not want that “squashed” in the typical classroom setting. In fact, I took drastic measures to make certain that it won’t be! I love watching her think outside the box, even if she sometimes comes across as a little eccentric.

No comments:

Post a Comment