Thursday, February 10, 2011

Week 2 Reading-The Art of Possibility

I love this book.  It doesn't really tell me anything brand, spankin' new....it just reminds me and in a perfect way!  I love being around people like Ben Zander.  Mind you, I have never been around him personally, but have watched videos of him and read this book two times.  So fun and upbeat.  I love the premise of starting students with an A and often try that with my students.  His students are perhaps a little more motivated to do well seeing as how they are in a university setting and under his tutelage.  My students often did not choose my class and are just getting through an elective.  Sigh.  I wish my kids were more excited.  I love to learn.  Absolutely love to learn.  And I love to have fun!  I have believed for a long time that you can choose to be happy -it is a choice-and I love the way Roz and Ben talk about it as the possibility.  I think I will try throwing my hands in the air and saying "how fascinating!" next time I mess up (which will not be long from now, I assure you).  
I also loved Roz's story regarding the rafting trip-saying "toes to nose" until they were sick of hearing it. I am doing a similar technique with my students this week while learning about interviewing skills.  I am having them here and state the same things over and over.  But I assure them that this will pay off when they go on an interview-these thoughts will hopefully be so engrained in their little minds that they will remember all these tips!  
If you have never watched the video of Ben Zander on TED.com, then I highly recommend it.  Looking forward to living out the concepts in this book!
Lis

1 comment: